Cogito Group is committed to protecting the privacy and the confidentiality of your information.
How is Privacy Managed?
Cogito Group is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act) which includes 13 Australian Privacy Principles. These principles regulate the way we handle your personal and sensitive information.
Definition of Personal information
‘Personal information’ is defined in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) to mean any information or opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, whether the information or opinion is true or not and whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
How is Personal information collected?
We collect information from clients to provide a range of services.
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the purposes for which it was collected, related purposes, and other purposes including:
- providing the services that our clients have requested;
- maintaining, managing and developing our relationship with clients and potential clients;
- service development, security and risk management;
- marketing our services, administering and operating purposes
- organisation of events;
- assessing and considering applications from prospective employees, contractors and service providers;
- developing and managing relationships with our employees, contractors and service providers;
If you are a client or have otherwise expressed interest and provided us with your contact details, we may send emails to you with information about Cyber Security developments (such as publications, alerts and newsletters) and marketing our services (such as seminar invitations).
We may use an “email management system” to automate the management and dispatch of these emails. The system operates by inserting tracking codes in the emails that we send to you. The tracking code allows us to collect personal information about you, such as whether you received and opened an email, and whether you clicked through to any links to our website. The personal information that the email management system collects and holds about you is used by us to:
- ensure that you only receive correspondence that you have informed us that you wish to receive;
- insert your personal information into our communications with you;
- determine whether the information that we send to you is suitable for your interests, information needs and profile;
- ensure that the email address that you have provided us is still operational;
- determine whether emails that we send to you are received by you;
- update a request that you make to us to unsubscribe from a publication that we send to you;
- review the effectiveness and relevance of our emails to you by collecting other statistical information.
If you do not wish for us to send you such emails, please let us know by contacting our Privacy Officer at the details below. You can also unsubscribe from our email notifications by clicking on the ‘Unsubscribe’ button at the bottom of our email notifications and following the prompts or by emailing us by clicking the ‘Contact Us’ button.
How we store your personal information
We are committed to protecting the personal information we hold. We take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information, including the use of encryption technology. We take all reasonable steps to ensure your information is secure from loss, interference, modification, misuse, unauthorised access, and disclosure. All access to personal information is by authorised staff only and is carefully monitored.
Access to your personal information
You have a right to request access to personal information that we hold about you and request its correction if it is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading. You may do so by contacting our Privacy Officer at the details below.
In some cases, in accordance with the Privacy Act, we may charge you a fee for access to personal information we hold about you or refuse to give you access to personal information we hold about you.
If you would like to complain about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles, you may contact our Privacy Officer at the details below.
We will respond to complaints within a reasonable period of time (usually 30 days).
If you disagree with our decision, you may refer your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner by visiting www.oaic.gov.au, calling 1300 363 992 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like more information about the way we manage personal information, would like to request access to or correction of personal information that we hold about you, or wish to make a complaint, please contact our Privacy Officer by either:
- Email – email@example.com
- Post – Attention “Privacy Officer” PO Box 4208 Hawker ACT 2614; or
- Telephone – (+61) 2 6140 4494